Sometime between 1905 and 1908, Sam Stein started selling wares in Greenville in a small shop.
His son, Jake, would continue in the family business, and as that business grew, he would purchase the adjoining buildings until he owned the entire block. As he purchased those buildings, he would create an opening in the wall and the square footage of his business thus grew.
The store, still called Sam Stein’s, was remodeled in 1957-58 when the last of the properties came together. Six years later, the store would be rebranded to Stein Mart on Nov. 12, 1964.