About 4:11 p.m. Friday, Greenville Fire Department units were dispatched to a reported fire at Sherman’s Restaurant located in the 1400 block of South Main near Reed Road, according to Chief Ruben Brown.
“Once on scene, fire personnel found steady flames and smoke coming from the roof area,” Brown said. “Six units responded to combat the blaze; it took approximately 30 minutes to bring the fire under control and it was eventually extinguished.”
Brown also noted there were no injuries or accidents reported by the fire department or the occupants of the restaurant.
Brown said regarding the ongoing preliminary investigation, “We’re looking at a possible fire starting in the venter hood system, which extended throughout the attic area of the structure.”
He added that the building sustained heavy smoke, fire and water damage.
The state fire marshal’s office is still investigating.